UNP builds university-community partnerships focused on resident-identified issues and opportunities. We do not run programs led by staff. Rather, we are a convener, bringing partners to the table to share ideas, identify common goals, and create their own initiatives. We are proactive in bringing to that table voices that have historically been unheard in the decision-making that affects these communities. Our work is to support those partnerships by encouraging active communication, relationship building, resource sharing, and capacity building.
University Neighborhood Partners brings together University and west side people and resources in reciprocal learning, action and benefit — a community coming together.
The University and west side neighborhoods share a vision of a community woven together through partnerships based on mutual empowerment, discovery and learning rooted in diverse life experiences. By addressing systemic barriers to educational success, these collaborative partnerships foster increased access to higher education for community members, a University enriched by its involvement in the community, and an enhanced quality of life for all involved.
- UNP is committed to mutual respect, empowerment and learning rooted in diverse life experiences.
- Understanding and knowledge are furthered by the open, active and mutual sharing of information and resources.
- Multiple kinds of knowledge and life experiences are central to address social, community and University issues.
- Knowledge is power and must be available to everyone.
- It is the right of all people to have access to the greatest range of opportunities; it is the choice of each individual how to utilize these opportunities.
UNP and our partners strive to live these values