Join residents, community organizations, and higher ed partners for a series of summer celebrations across the the west side
Partners in the Park (PIP) is a multi-week summer program designed to bring University faculty, staff, students, community partner organizations, and west side residents together in local neighborhood parks. PIP acquaints West side residents with the University of Utah its academic cultural, and research opportunities through shared interests and activities. The program connects potential students with the U and other institutions of higher education, raising their awareness of and access to the lifelong value of higher education. The events also provides west side residents with access to local resources and organizations.
Held on Tuesdays throughout the summer, the program draws upwards of one thousand residents and partners. Past activities have included dance presentations, balloon tying, a magic show, Frisbee contests, kickball, soccer, temporary tattooing, balloon relay races, raffles, hat making, Taekwondo, gardening activities, bingo, Zumba, jump rope, and face painting. Free picnic dinner is served to attendees at each event.
Purpose: To provide opportunities for friendly and informal interaction between the University and west side communities in a way that encourages youth to think about theimportance of higher education.
During Partners in the Park, University Neighborhood Partners, its staff, community partners, and University partners work to:
- Distribute educational information to the community
- Provide the community with a greater knowledge of UNP, the University and its programs
- Increase communication and interaction between UNP staff, community partners and university partners
- Strengthen community-building and networking
- Welcome all community members that come to the events
- Utilize each partner’s strengths
- Offer activities that encompass learning, cooperation and family at each event
- Maintain an average of 200-300 participants at each event
Each summer a variety of University departments and other organizations contribute to make Partners in the Park an ongoing success. Contributions include food, supplies, entertainers, facilities, bounce houses, food servers, and more. The following list includes some ongoing partners who contribute in this way for these events. Many other partners participate to share resources and other information with the community. Come on out and learn more!
Thank you to our generous sponsors